Plato said marriage and family are not necessary for the growth and good of society. He said that the state should always come first. He further emphasized that children should be brought up by the state and women should be the property of men!
Aristotle said the family is fundamental to the social order and the growth of society. He believed that family is where people belong and that the family is the central core and energy of all society.
In this modern day, whom do you think society follows?
Rather than answer that question, look back in time and tell me where one community or society has thrived when the definition of marriage was changed?
In 1848, the Oneida community was formed in upper New York to bring heaven to earth. They believed that since there was no marriage in heaven, then there should be no marriage on earth. They believed strongly in a system of free love known as complex marriage, where any member was free to have sex with any other who consented. Possessiveness and exclusive relationships were frowned upon. This redefinition of marriage and community lasted until 1878 when incidentally, the commune was destroyed by a tornado.
The founding fathers believed that God was the source of family. They incorporated the language in the Declaration of Independence, “all rights come from the Creator.” God defines marriage and family was their point of reference.
Man lives on three things: oxygen, glucose, and relationship. You can take a brain scan of a man who grew up with no relationships as a child, and you will discover a black mass in his brain. Relationship is necessary to human existence and happiness. Relationship assumes that you are concerned and devoted to the other.
Today, the problem with society is the redefinition of marriage does not depend on Truth. It is whatever you say it is.
If there is a God, there is a design for all things including marriage and family. Marriage is one of those truths that, as I articulated, is important for the foundation of any healthy society. (Source: Heritage)
So why does monogamous marriages and families that stay together matter?
- The growth of a community and society depend on the generous, selfless contribution of all citizens. A good Christian marriage models selflessness.
- Marriage is only successful when it is modeled after the selfless love of Jesus Christ. He loved us so much that He died for us—selflessly. By living selflessly for your spouse in a mutual matter, you create the basis for a successful marriage where all other benefits of the union flow.
- Parents that selflessly love each other allow their children to thrive with a caring and forgiving love. Selflessness is the basis of raising Godly children.
- The gospel teaches us that when we ask the Lord for forgiveness for our selfish, prideful ways that He will forgive us. A good marriage models that and the society as a whole benefits—not just in the United States but also anywhere in the world.
- A society without marriage is at the center barbaric. History has proved that.
- Happiness (as defined by society) is not the measure of good or joy. i.e. If you lose your spouse and children and job, can God bring you joy? If you give to others without thought of self even though you are suffering, you will achieve a joy that surpasses all reason says God.
Society can benefit enormously if people focus one another rather than self.
What is the legacy that you want to carry forward in society?
Download this free ebook that will help you understand the Kardia process and what’s possible once you discover how to become a better steward by eliminate taxes by focusing on Kingdom causes that will enable you to build an enduring family legacy.
By Joe Sturniolo
Christian Family Legacy and Wealth Planning
Joe believes that stronger families are the vehicle God uses to bring
about significant impact for His Kingdom.