One of the biggest challenges for wealthy families is determining the best places for their charitable dollars to go. According to the NCCS, there are currently over 1.5 million nonprofit organizations in the United States. With so many to choose from, how do you know what charity is right for you or your family? Today, it takes a fair amount of research to get to the facts about a particular ministry. Most information resources are out of date and do not give you the information you need to make a wise decision.
In this short post, I want to give you an example of what you should look for when considering (and choosing) a charity or ministry to support that is a worth your time, treasure, and talent. There are three areas that make a charity worthy: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Scope.
Below is an example of a highly effective Foster Children Foundation in Arizona to help you understand what an effective charitable organization looks like.
Effectiveness and Efficiency
- What is the impact? Granting awards to 28,000+ children in foster care over the past 30 years.
- Growth in last three years? 39% growth in clients served.
- How is money spent? $888,695 spent to serve 2,465 foster children.
- Is fundraising efficient? 8 cents spent to raise 1 dollar.
- Mission: To enrich the lives and improve the self-esteem of children in foster care by funding social, athletic, and educational activities.
- The Team: 3 staff + 75 volunteers + board of 17
- Topic: Foster Care, Vocational Training
- People Served: Youth
- Nations Served: United States
(Source: Intelligent Philanthropy)
This is just a quick summary of what you may be looking for to select the ministry that best serves the group that you want to help. If you are looking for a detailed 175-point study of organizational performance, operations, and impact check Intelligentphilanthropy.com. This is a subset of Excellence In Giving out of Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have found that they are one group that has the timeliest and most complete information available on many worthy ministries.
Download this free ebook that will help you understand the Kardia process and what’s possible once you discover how to become a better steward by eliminate taxes by focusing on Kingdom causes that will enable you to build an enduring family legacy.
By Joe Sturniolo
Christian Family Legacy and Wealth Planning
Joe believes that stronger families are the vehicle God uses to bring
about significant impact for His Kingdom.